|Rover 800 Jatco Gearbox Self Diagnosis Test on Rover 825 KV6 Auto.
Rover 800 825 2.5 V6 (KV6)
Jatco Automatic Gearbox Self Diagnosis Test
If you have a Rover 800/825 with the 2.5litre V6 Rover KV6 engine, then you should have a 'JATCO' Automatic Gearbox installed. This is normally a Jatco JF403E (4-Speed) box.
The Jatco Gear box is fitted with an electronic self-diagnosis check!
To check your gear box for any fault codes;
Make sure your ignition is switched off.
Then press and hold down both the 'sport' and 'snow' buttons.
Then turn your ignition on.
Then switch off both the 'sport' and 'snow' modes within 4 seconds of each other.
Then wait 4 seconds,
Then your 'sport' light on the dashboard should flash!
If the 'sport' light flashes on and off constantly, this means no faults.
If there are any faults, the light will flash a number of times followed by a small pause then another number of times, then a long pause, before it shows the same number of flashes again (or another sequence of flashes if more than one fault).
for example, if the fault code was +++++_+++++______+++++_+++++______+++++_+++++_____ _+++++_+++++_____ etc, then it is Fault Code 5-5 which is the inhibitor switch
The Fault Codes are as follows;
- 1-1 Vehicle speed sensor 1 (Open or short circuit)
- 1-3 Engine speed sensor (Open or short circuit)
- 1-5 ATF temperature sensor (Open)
- 2-1 Throttle sensor (Open or short circuit)
- 2-4 Vehicle speed sensor 2 (Open or short circuit)
- 3-1 Shift solenoid A (Open circuit)
- 3-2 Shift solenoid B (Open circuit)
- 3-3 Over-run clutch solenoid (Open circuit)
- 3-4 Lock-up solenoid (Open circuit)
- 3-5 Line pressure solenoid (Open circuit)
- 3-6 Shift lock solenoid (Open circuit)
- 4-1 Short circuit
- 4-2 Short circuit
- 4-3 Short circuit
- 4-4 Short circuit
- 4-5 Short circuit
- 4-6 Short circuit
- 5-2 Serial communication circuit (Open or short circuit)
- 5-3 Torque down control circuit (Open or short circuit)
- 5-4 Vehicle speed sensor 1 & 2 (Open or short circuit)
- 5-5 Inhibitor switch (Open or short circuit)
- 6-1 Memory back-up (Open or short circuit)
- 6-2 Battery supply (Open or short circuit)
- 6-3 Wrong gear (Open or short circuit)
Then switch your ignition off to exit the test.
To clear the Gear Box memory, you remove the left hand fuse in a bank of 6 fuses under the steering coloumn, for at least five minutes.