|1999 Rover 800 825 V6 Coupe Battery to Boot Conversion.|
Car: 1999 Rover 800 825 V6 Coupe
Battery to Boot Conversion Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
So far in my Battery to Boot Conversion, the wiring has all been completed at the front end of the car, and the cable has been taken right through the car, under the carpet, trims and seat and on into the boot.
Now it's just a case of mounting the battery where required in the boot and joining the cables to the battery.
Now I Have Made a Shelf, it Seems a Good time to Trial Fit the Battery Box onto it!
The Battery box had to Have Two Holes Cut in the Base of it So that it Would Fit over The Two Flaps on the Shelf.
The Battery Clamp Fits & Hold the Battery Very Well (made up of 2 threaded Bars, some Angle, and Two Wing Nuts).
The Threaded Bar had to be Shortened So the Lid Would Close Correctly, but Even so, the Butterfly Nuts Catch the Lid Slightly, So these will be Replaced With Locking Nuts Instead.
The Lid Fits. Now the Whole Thing is Ready for Fitting to the Car.
The 2 Lower Holes Have Been Drilled Though the Alloy Shelf and Transferred to the car.
A Pilot Hole was then Made for One of the Top Holes. This was Kept Further Back Than Where We Thought the Petrol Tank was. (Using Best Guesses and from where we had Tried to Measure the Car from Underneath).
The Pilot Hole came through Too Far Back Underneath, But this Meant we Could Drill them Where we First Wanted Them. (Always Better to be Safe than Sorry though. Hence Why we had Tried a Small Pilot Hole First.)
But Even So It is Dangerous to Use Power Tools Any Where Near Flammables, and so Precautions Were Taken So that the Drill Bit Would Go No Further Through the Car Body than We Required it to.
The View From Underneath. The Holes we Made were Treated to Some Underbody Paint to Protect From Rust.
Notice Where the Holes are in Relation to the Petrol Tank!
Do Not Risk Trying to Do Anything Similar Yourself! Unless you are Fully Aware of the Risks Involved. If in Any Doubt get some Professional Help.
The Shelf Securely Bolted to the Car Body. 2 Extra Holes have also been Drilled in the Shelf. These 2 Extra Holes Will be Used To Fasten Down the Box to the Shelf in the 2 Back Corners.
The Battery Box Slotted onto the Alloy Shelf. (But Not Yet Bolted or Clamped Down)
The Old Polystyrene Jack/Tool Holder Will no Longer Fit Back in Place. Rather Than Just Chuck it Away though, A Section Will be Cut Out So that It Can Still be Used to Hold up The Carpet in the Car Boot. The Tools Will Then Be Placed Within the Spare Wheel.
A Rectangular Shape has been Cut out of the Polystyrene Tool Holder which will now Fit Around the Battery Box.
The Polystyrene Jack/Tool Holder Fits Around the Alloy Shelf Now. The Battery Has Only Been Connected at this Stage for Running the Engine/Moving the Car.
Now the Battery Box can Sit Within the Polystyrene Tool Holder, Which Will Keep The Carpet Level Around the Battery Box. The Battery Box Itself Will Therefore be Part Sunken in the Boot Once the Carpet Has Been Refitted.
The Foam is Lifted Up and the Back End of the Battery Box has been Bolted to the Alloy Shelf, The Front Corners Will be Held in Place When the Battery is Clamped in Place.
The Cables Have Had Conduit Pushed over Them. This Will Give Additional Protection From Any Accidental Damage to the Cables, from Anything that Happens to Move Around in the Boot, When the Car is in Motion.
The Cable Ends Have Now Been Crimped in Place Using a Special Crimping Tool Designed for this Purpose.
If You Look Carefully, You Can Just See One of the Flaps on the Alloy Shelf poking up Through the Slot in the Corner of the Battery Box.
The Battery has Finally Been Put in its New Home. The Threaded Bars Have Been Hooked into the Alloy Shelf Flaps, The Battery and Battery box are now Secure.
The Cables Have Now Been Pushed to the Very Edges of the Boot and Have Now been Fitted onto the Battery.
The Lid Fits With the Battery and Cables in Place, So all that Remains is For the Boot Carpet to be Refitted.
The Carpet Has Been Trimmed to Fit Around the Sunken Battery Box. The Polystyrene Jack/Tool Holder Has Worked Very Well in Keeping the Carpet Level Around the Battery Box.
The Battery to Boot Conversion Has Finally Been Completed. This Has Been Done Without losing Any of the Cargo net Areas and the CD Multi-Changer Is Still in Its Place. The Jack Has now Been Put inside the Spare Wheel. I have Also put the Jump Leads and Tow Ropes That Used to Live in the Boot, in the Spare Wheel as Well, this has Given me a Very Tidy Boot Now.
I am More Than Happy With my Battery to boot Conversion!
>>>More Rover Coupe Stuff