|1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler Rear Axle Rebuild.|
Car: 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0 Sport
Rear Axle Rebuild Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5
We have now removed the diff and replaced all the parts, and got the settings for the ring and pinion as close as we can to those required. We are now ready therefore for the final fitment!
Here is the diff with the slip bearing removed. The extra width of shims required for final instalment has been equally divided between the two sides.
The correct new bearing is now being fitted. This time it's the permanent one!
Well that's this side done.
The other half of the extra width of shims for the final fitment is added at this end.
Adding extra width to the diff will mean it can no longer just be lifted in and out!
Although we did not need a diff spreader when we removed the diff the first time (because it had been badly installed), we will need one now.
Time once again for one of those home made devices!
A bit of bar and a few nuts & bolts later and we have this home made diff spreader to fit a Dana 44. (with a couple more holes drilled in the bars we could soon make it fit the Dana 30 front axle if we needed it too.)
With the diff spreader fitted, in goes the diff.
(Don't forget the rubber seals for the ends! We did and had to take the diff out and pop it back in again with them on!)
Hurray it worked, and it had only cost a few quid to make!
Those all important settings should be checked again just to confirm things are as they should be.
Paint was also put on the cogs to check the wear patterns.
These seems the same as before, so things were all looking good.
After several rotations the wear was as expected, now all we had to do was clean the paint off!
Cleaning the paint off was not easy, but at least we were still able to get more results each time the ring and pinion was rotated though a few more resolutions!
Finally the diff is installed. Not forgetting to fasten up the nut on the ARB airlocking pipe!
The diff cover & seal are both put back in place and bolted up.
The pinion end is not yet completed though!
First insert the new washer...
...then the bearing seal (using some sealant too!)...
...then the bottom end of the u-joint.
and finally bolt the u-joint bracket back in place.
Things are not quite as finished as they may seem though! Don't forget we took those half shafts out of the rear axle earlier, so that we could take the diff out in the first place.
Well they will need refitting now too!
<<<Rear Axle Rebuild Page 3 >>>Rear Axle Rebuild Page 5